Monday, September 08, 2008

Back to Basics

We know that this day is the birthday of Mama Mary. To pay respect to the mother of God, mother asked me to hear mass. I actually intended to hear mass in Assumption because I wanted to visit my alma mater, see the people and I had to get my transcripts.

I knew from before that there would be eucharistic celebrations every 12:00nn. So I arrived there at exactly 12:00nn. Apparently there was no mass, but to my surprise, the chapel was half-filled with kindergarten kiddos. The kindergarten department sponsored a paraliturgy to celebrate the birthday of Mother Mary. It was fascinating to see these little girls in their red-plaid uniforms (oh yeah and most of them were wearing those big-ala-Blair-Waldorf-ribboned-headbands) and they were carrying a bunch of flowers to be offered to Momma M. There was a photo of Mama Mary infront of the altar and the kids placed the flowers.

The scene was just so cute, yet it made me realize to go back to basics. As mentioned, it was a paraliturgy, so the teachers read a gospel about Mary. In order for the kids to easily comprehend to the gospel, I'm sure they got the reading from a children's bible. It really caught my full attention and attentively listened to the gospel. I forgot the bible verse but in a nutshell it was about Mary (duh), as a good mother to Jesus and a good wife to Joseph. Then one of the teachers gave a reflection on the gospel. She told the kids, due to Mary's eternal and unconditional love to Christ, in return He respected and loved Mary so much. So in their everyday lives, they should obey their parents. If their parents tell them to take a bath and sleep early, they should obey and follow them. The teacher said that the girls must be good to their parents and grandparents. After sharing the reflection, the teacher asked something to the kids and altogether, they giddily responded. Afterwards, they all sang "Happy Birthday" to Mama Mary.

Through the years, our learnings in life have grown and have become complicated. It is inevitable because it is part of our life's journey. But there are times when we need to sit back and just go back to basics. My kindergarten paraliturgy experience is a concrete example of going back to basics. Even if the reflection was simple, it is a challenge for me to still follow the good example of Christ. Basically obey our parents.

Christ showed goodness to His parents because Mama Mary emanated unconditional love to Him. Just like our parents. In the growing up years and growing pain moments, they constantly and eternally shower us love and care to us. So our challenge is to give them back something to them.

For the past months, my Mom has become more than a mother but a best friend. In the moments that I have gone through, I never realized how good my mother is and I just love her so much for that. I don't know what to do without her. Well I can say that she epitomizes Mama Mary... =)

So to Mama Mary, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

No comments: